Saturday, September 23, 2017

Mountain Painting from the 1980s


Yesterday I was surprised to see one of my old paintings posted on Facebook by a friend who lives far away. I painted this sometime in the 1980s when I lived in Lawrence, Kansas, and gave it to my friend when I moved away. It made me happy to see the painting again when my friend posted the image, and to consider that it has been in her house all this time, so I downloaded the jpg.  The image she posted was a photo of the painting behind glass, so there were a lot of reflections. Today I used Painter's digital pastel to soften the reflections a bit.  Back in the 1980s I didn't always take photos of my work, so it is nice to have this. This is acrylic paint used with water on watercolor paper. This was done around the time I started painting mountain landscapes, and it is part of what I jokingly called my "big bang" series, because I always included a burst of brushwork, like a creative explosion. Well, time passes, but some things remain.  Like the mountains.  And good friends. . .

No comments: