Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Honeymoon Utica Ave. (Revised)


This is my favorite picture of my parents on their honeymoon, in New York City. The image began with a photo that I found, a double-exposed black and white snapshot, 2 x 3 inches. I first posted this back on April 4, 2005, and this is what I said: "I found this snapshot of my folks in my mother's old album today. They were married on April 4, 1943 and had time for a trip to New York before my dad left for his two years in Europe during the war. The double-exposed image looks almost like a collage, and intrigues me with its scraps of information. I decided to colorize it using Painter IX's digital watercolor.  My folks used to play "Takin' a Chance on Love" on the piano, and I guess they really did take a chance, because they only knew each other for a few weeks before they got married."  I was going to repost the original today, but the image was too small for today's standards, and was too blurry to post.  So I opened the image in Painter and sharpened it a bit, and then used a combination of posterized and woodcut effect to make an image that would be clear at 300 dpi. So I am happy I managed to retain the colors and the basic look of the image.  Sometimes you have to do a little work to keep those memories, but it is worth the effort.

No comments: