Thursday, April 04, 2019

Newlyweds 1943 (with digital color and Prisma filter)


I am posting this in memory of my parents, who were married on April 4, 1943.  This image began with a snapshot taken on their honeymoon in New York. My mother was born in Pueblo, Colorado. In 1943,  my father was briefly stationed at the Pueblo army base, where he met my mother at a USO dance. (So I actually exist because my father decided to do his bit to fight the Nazis and my mother decided to do her bit to support the troops through the USO.)   My parents met in January and married in April, and fit in a trip to New York before my father was shipped out. By the summer, he was overseas in Europe. During the two years he was away, my mother kept a photo album, with small snapshots on black paper, labeled in white ink. The album begins with photos of their first date, their wedding, their honeymoon trip to New York. Then the photo narrative splits into two streams: photos that my dad sent back from the war and photos of my mother's life in Pueblo.  Back in 2006, I found the original 2 x 3 inch black and white snapshot* in my mother's album.  I cleaned it up a bit with basic editing tools and used Painter to add the digital color and posted in on Flickr.  Yesterday I stumbled upon that 2006 digital image again and decided  to try adding a Prisma filter.  After some trial and error, I chose "Golden Hour" and this is the result.  The image is softer, the edges aren't as sharp, but that seems right. As time passes, the  memories soften and fade, but they are still beautiful.  
*I don't know who took the photo, but it is possible that it was my uncle, Ike Fitterman.


No comments: