Monday, May 27, 2019

Front Porch Memory (Rescued Snapshot)


This week I have been doing a lot of photo editing for a tribute book and video for my Aunt Edy, who turns 100 this week!  (This project was Top Secret until quite recently, but the book and video have already been delivered.) This is one of the photos I worked on for this project. This image began with a small 2x3 inch snapshot that was so dark that it was hard to identify the people. I used iPhoto and Painter to clean it up, retouch it, and adjust the value and contrast until the faces could be seen clearly.  It was worth doing. This is a photo of my Dora Katz, my maternal grandmother who lived with us*, and my Grandfather, Ralph Katz, who died before I was born.  The play of light and shadows makes me think that they were sitting on a very familiar front porch, the house I where I grew up.
*I grew up in a big house that was home to my extended family: my parents and I, my cousin and her parents, and my grandmother.

No comments: