Friday, June 07, 2019

Two Faces (Edythe and Ruth) Digitally Modified Photo


Yesterday I posted a rescued snapshot of my aunt and my mother.  The original version was an overexposed photo of four people, but two of the people were very hard to see because of the overexposure.  I didn't know those two other people anyway, but I did want to rescue the two faces of my mother and my aunt in 1941.  So I scanned the photo, and then cropped the image to show just the two sisters. Then I did some basic retouching in iPhoto, and used Painter to selectively darken some areas to bring both faces more clearly into view.  You can see the result in yesterday's post.  Then I took it further, and last night and today, created a second image. I used Painter to add color and texture with digital pastel and posterizing effect. Sometimes you find the best images in photos that seem least likely to succeed. I am very glad I decided to rescue this one.

No comments: