Monday, October 14, 2019

House on Signal Mountain (as of Oct. 14, 2019)


I worked on this "house portrait" today.  I am using a photo as a reference (posted here September 16.)  Today I did a very small amount of work on the house itself, but spent most of the painting session working on the shadows on the lawn. I reworked the original placement, trying to get the lines of the main shadows where I wanted them.  I can't see the trees that cast the shadows, so I need to focus on what I actually see, not with what I know or understand or think should be there. So I turned both the reference photo and the canvas upside-down, and that helped (as it often does). It must sound silly, but turning things upside-down forces me to focus on what I see (not what I know) which is why it is often so helpful. 

No comments: