Saturday, November 23, 2019

Pikes Peak (Digitally Edited)


Yesterday I posted a photo of Pikes Peak that I took during a visit to Colorado in March of 1979.  I decided to use that photo as a reference for my next painting, but I needed to make some changes. First, I did some cropping to get the image into an 8 x 10 format. (My painting will be 16 x 20).  To get there and still have the composition I wanted, I decided to add space (50 pixels) to the bottom of the image.  I then filled it that new blank space by copying and pasting some of the sagebrush at the bottom of the image.  I went over it with some digital pastel.  I may reduce the amount of that pattern in the painting by cutting through it with a diagonal line, but at least I have something to start with.  I also simplified the foreground by covering the buildings with white to look like snow.  Then I posterized the whole image, not just because I like the look of that effect (which I do) but also because it helps me to see the shapes and colors. I will print this out to use as my reference photo.

No comments: