Monday, August 29, 2022

Hy Zagon, Fishing in 1941 (Digitally Modified Snapshot)



Yesterday I posted a rescued snapshot of my dad as a young man of 23. (He was born August 28, 1918).  The original snapshot, taken by an unknown photographer, was tilted so much that I had to add to the background with Painter so that I could straighten and crop the image, and I posted that here yesterday. But while I was at it,  I also decided to use Painter to add some color with a combination of color overlay and digital pastel. Then I added a bit of posterizing effect in selected areas. Here is the result, which I like but I also like the original version.    For me, the process is just as important as the result.  As I work on the photo, I notice more details (my dad's shirt, his belt, his watchband, the rocks along the shore, little boy in the background). As I invent the colors, I spend a little more time with the photo as I think about the scene, and about my dad, and his life.  

No comments: