Monday, October 09, 2023

Manitou Springs Fantasy (Painting as of October 9, 2023)



Here is how this painting looked on October 9th.  To simplify the composition,  I eliminated the slope that had been at the lower right corner of the canvas. Then I began to play with texture, tearing strips of gold paper for the mountain slope.  This was a different kind of paper than I had been using and it would tear only in straight-line strips. This wasn't exactly what I had expected, but I forged ahead.  To make it work, I painted into the area with gold and green paint.  For the hillside on the right side of the canvas, I began to create another texture using torn blue-green paper. Then I added some purple washes to the slope in the lower left corner.  I once had a wonderful painting teacher who said, "Randi, you have to give yourself a problem and then paint your way out of it."  Well, I had given myself a problem alright!  I liked each of the four areas of the painting, but the problem I needed to solve was how to get them to work together.  To be continued. 

No comments: