Tuesday, July 02, 2024

The Whirlpool (Moby Dick Project) as of June 24, 2024



This is a work in progress, a painting I am working on for a show at Porter Mill with the theme of Moby Dick.  This is a representation of the whirlwind at the end of the novel, and the text shown here is the last line of the final chapter.*  I had already  sketched this onto the canvas with conte crayon the day before.  So here I am refining the composition, starting with the spacing and placement of the words, trying to straighten out the circles as I go.  I used some white paint to cover up mistakes, sort of easing my way into painting this.  It did strike me that the writing between two blue lines looks a bit like notebook paper.  To be continued. . . .

"And now concentric circles seized the lone boat itself and all its crew and each floating oar and every lancepole and spinning, animate and  inanimate, all round and round in one vortex carried the smallest chip of the Pequod out of site."  

No comments: