Tuesday, July 09, 2024

The Whirlpool (Moby Dick project) as of June 30, 2024



I continued to work on my painting for the upcoming Moby Dick show at Porter Mill. This is how it looked on June 30, 2024.  At this point, I was still focussed on placement of the text, which is  the last sentence of the final chapter of Moby Dick, a description of the Pequod's disappearance into the whirlpool.*  But as I worked, I was also starting to paint, using white to clean up my mistakes, and beginning to add blue brushstrokes to suggest the movement of the water.   *The text is: "And now concentric circles seized the lone boat itself and all its crew and each floating oar and every lancepole and spinning, animate and inanimate, all round and round in one vortex carried the smallest chip of the Pequod out of sight."

No comments: