Saturday, May 28, 2005

House as of May 28


House as of May 28
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

This is the latest version of the painting for friends. I have recently done a "demolition and renovation" of the rear of the house. I am painting from an old black and white photo in which the back of the house is obscured with vines. To my eye, the vines and shadows created the optical illusion that the rear of the house was at an angle to the front. Recent photos finally helped me see the structure: a classic case of painting what you see versus painting what you know. This is now a composite that reconciles seeing and knowing, old and new. I adjusted the perspective slightly to include details that matter, even though they might not be visible from this angle, strictly speaking. Visual illusion in the service of emotional truth.

No comments: