Thursday, June 09, 2005

Self-Portrait with Bridal Veil


Self-Portrait with Bridal Veil
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

This self-portrait was part of an assignment in a collage class a few years ago. We were to create three self-portraits from materials that reflected our identities. This is the first of the series. (The second is "Self Portrait in Maps," posted on May 3. The third was a my baby picture in a bonnet, stenciled in powdered sugar onto a pan of brownies. The class ate it up, literally, but I will post a photo if I can track it down.) The four images at the bottom are me at different stages of my life, and were the basis of the series. The image under the veil is a sketch I made using using the most recent photo as a reference (me, in my fifties).. The plastic veil actually lifts up. This collage is meant to be funny, but it has its serious side. First: marriage is a decision to go through time with someone. Second: the woman under the veil, the baby in the bonnet, and the woman with gray hair are one and the same. And third, if you are getting married, don't forget the ring, but even more important, don't forget your sense of humor.

No comments: