Sunday, December 18, 2005

Chicago Souvenir (Snow Scene in Rogers Park)


Chicago Souvenir (Snow Scene in Rogers Park)
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

Today we had a phone call from a good friend from Chicago. He and his family were also our neighbors when we lived in Rogers Park and taught at Loyola University of Chicago. So tonight, I found this photo that I took in back 1979. (The photo is carefully labeled "January 1979 pre-blizzard," because a few weeks after this photo was taken, Chicago was hit with a record-breaking, history-making, car-burying, mayor-retiring snowstorm.) I scanned the image in the computer tonight, then cropped it to remove the rounded 1970's photo corners, and adjusted the color to tone down a pink cast, just enough to capture the whiteness of the snow. But I left a bit of the pink, because I liked the effect, almost like sepia tones. I often say that no matter how cold it is in Boston, you don't know from cold until you have lived in Chicago. But we had warm friends and great times there, and will always have good memories of a terrific city.

No comments: