Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Portrait in Progress as of January 3


Portrait in Progress as of January 3
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

Here is the latest version of the portrait I am painting for my friends. In addition to sharpening up the collar and tie, I have been making small changes to the face, using a very small brush and being careful so I can avoid losing what I already have. I adjusted the eyeglass shape, modified the hairline, and changed the position of the mouth just a bit. Small details are important when it comes to portraits. I want to capture a likeness, as well as an emotional sense of the person, which in this portrait, relies almost entirely on the facial expression. When you paint a smile, you are trying to capturing a fleeting expression, a face in motion. In this case, it is a wonderful smile, and I am trying to do it justice.

No comments: