Monday, June 12, 2006

Portuguese Garden with Kale


Portuguese Garden with Kale
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

Here is another souvenir of Portugal. I took this picture in a little town call Ermesinda, near Porto, during my visit in July of 2001. It seems odd to take pictures of a vegetable garden, but I wanted to take this picture because I always noticed the beautiful blue-green plants growing in the countryside around Porto. It was kale, of course, called couve, in Portuguese. One of the many wonderful things I have learned from my connections in Brazil and Portugal is how to make feijoida (a black bean dish, typical food for celebrations) and to serve it with kale and with sliced oranges. This morning, I planted some kale in my own garden, and I remembered this photo and decided to post it.

No comments: