Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Red Mountains and Field (Oil Bar Landscape as of December 11)


Red Mountains and Field (Oil Bar Landscape as of December 11)
Originally uploaded by randubnick.

This is a painting in progress that I started last night in my oil bar class. The instructor suggested starting a new painting that uses the same composition as one I painted a few weeks back, "Mountains and Field", but changing the colors and using a bigger canvas. One of my college painting teachers used to say that I should use a color that is out of my comfort zone, because it would give me a problem that I would have to solve. That is certainly true in this case, and I will have to work hard to solve this one! But meanwhile I am having fun figuring out how to mix a lot of colors with oil bars. I was making the sky lighter towards the end of the class, and just as I had decided to add light to other areas, it was time to pack up and go. So I made some quick marks with the brush to indicate where I wanted to put more light next time. Then I took a quick picture of the shiny wet canvas with my phonecam. To be continued at next week's class. . .

No comments: