Monday, May 07, 2007

Trees Leafing Out (Posterized Photo)

Trees Leafing Out (Posterized Photo) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Despite last night's cold air, we have warm temperatures today and the trees are leafing out. This image began as a photo that I took with my digital camera in mid-May of 2005. Tonight I cropped it and posterized it just a little to bring out the delicate yellow-green leaves. I decided to post this tonight because the beauty of the first leaves on trees is also fleeting. Robert Frost said: "Nature's first green is gold," and as he points out, it doesn't last long. (The name of the poem is "Nothing Gold Can Stay.") Some may see this as a pessimistic view (and I warn you that Frost's poem is certainly not wildly optimistic). But my view is that if something isn't going to last forever, then better hurry up, pay attention, and enjoy it.

No comments: