Monday, July 09, 2007

Ribbon Roses (Collage Day 4) Closeup

Ribbon Roses (Collage Day 4) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Today I worked on this collage at Red Brick. First, I fixed a problem that I had noticed: one of the leaves seemed to blend right into the vase. So I added contrast by pasting a lighter leaf over it, and then added pieces of red ribbon positioned to contrast with the leaf. I also added more to the bouquet itself. Finally, I extended the blue pattern of the tablecloth to the edge of the image. I took a picture with my phonecam, which is difficult because of reflections from the metallic ribbon, but it was cloudy today, and that helped. This collage is on a styrofoam tray, and I have been cropping the image before posting to eliminate the raw styrofoam backing (which is why I call this a closeup). Before I left for the day, I tried out some ideas for dealing with the edges of the tray. I had originally thought about using additional patterned ribbons to create a kind of frame on the edge, but I think it would look too crowded. So at this point, I plan to extend the background patterns (top and bottom) to the edge of the tray. At least, that is what I think tonight. To be continued. . . .

No comments: