Saturday, August 04, 2007

Colorado Front Range (Posterized and Digitally Modified Photo)

Colorado Front Range (Posterized and Digitally Modified Photo) Originally uploaded by randubnick

This image started with a photo that I took this time last year on a very quick trip to Colorado for my high school reunion. I made the most of the few days I had, and drove between Denver, Colorado Springs, and Pueblo so I could visit with family and friends on the way. Because I was in the driver's seat, I didn't get many pictures of the great Colorado scenery up and down the Front Range. But at one point, I got stuck in a traffic jam around Colorado Springs, and despite worrying that I would be late to the reunion, I still saw the delay as a photo op. I got out my disposable camera and took a picture of the mountains just as clouds rolled in for the traditional afternoon thunderstorm. And then the traffic started to move again. (And yes, I did make it to the reunion and had a great time!) Later, when the trip was over and I got the film developed, I saw that reflections from the car window were visible in the image and were too distracting, so I never did anything with the photo. Recently I came across the photo again, and decided to try to salvage the image because I liked the composition and the colors. So I opened the image in Painter IX and did some gentle posterizing as well as repair work with digital pastel. (I left some of the reflections in the image because they seemed to add to the composition.) Now I have another souvenir. I am glad I took the trip, and glad I took the picture!

No comments: