Friday, September 14, 2007

Composition with Two Patterns


Composition with Two Patterns (Originally uploaded by randubnick)

This is a piece of digital art that I created recently using Painter IX on my PC. I wanted to find ways to use the patterns I have been creating from my photos, and to get some practice with Painter's pattern pen which allows you to pick up a pattern and "draw" with it. This composition was created with two patterns from my photos. In the center is the raspberry pattern that I posted a few days ago, but it looks quite different because I used a pastel pattern pen that picks up the shapes in the pattern, but not the color. Because I chose a transparent pattern pen, I was able to create an effect that looks a bit like layers of tissue paper. The outer rectangle contains a different pattern, Petunia Duet, which I also created from one of my photos this summer. In this case, the pattern pen I chose was a gradient marker, which applies the shapes in the pattern in various colors taken from the original image. This pattern pen is also transparent, applied over colored "paper," which is actually the digital background. Well, it was good to get some practice with pattern pens, and I learned a lot. As a bonus, I liked the image I created in the process.

No comments: