Monday, October 15, 2007

Night View of Mill and River (Oil Bar Painting Day 3)

Night View of Mill and River (Oil Bar Painting Day 3) Originally uploaded by randubnick

This morning I went to Red Brick to work on this painting of the Merrimac River in Manchester, New Hampshire. This time I remembered to take a copy of my reference photo along, mainly for the colors at this point. Today I tried to get the sky closer to the periwinkle color that it is in the photo, and changed the reflections in the water from turquoise to a purple tone as well. I added more blue shadows at the shoreline. Then I began changing the color of the mill building to a neutral with some purple tones (as in the photo). In the process of applying the new color, I tried to straighten out some of the windows. By then it was time to leave. This is still very much a work in progress. Next time I hope to work on the foreground (surface of the water). I also want to make the windows a bit smaller.

No comments: