Thursday, October 04, 2007

Ribbon Roses Collage, Finished Tray (Oct. 4)


Ribbon Roses Collage, Finished Tray (Oct. 4)

Today I went to Red Brick and finally finished this piece, made from ribbons pasted over a styrofoam tray. I added a few pieces to the bronze border around the edges of the tray, and then used acrylic gel medium to seal any apparent gaps, and then I was done. Then I wanted to get one last photo. In this view, the image is visible (three roses in a vase). Of course the design on the back doesn't show in the photo, but is also posted on this site. This piece can be hung on the wall, or used as a decorative tray. I suppose it could even hold mail or some such. But practicality was never the issue. I just loved the ribbons and wanted to make something beautiful out of them. After I finished today, I put away all the ribbons and glue, for the next time, whenever that is. I am glad I finished this project because I need to start painting for a show in January. But I am also a little sad to be finished. Despite the difficulty and occasional tedium of this project, there was also something special about it, using bits of beautiful ribbon to transform a styrofoam tray into art.

No comments: