Saturday, November 03, 2007

Night View of Mill and River (Oil Bar Painting Day 8)

Night View of Mill and River (Oil Bar Painting Day 8) Originally uploaded by randubnick

This morning I went to Red Brick to work on this painting for an hour or so. This is a view of the Merrimac River in Manchester, New Hampshire, part of a series I am doing for a show in January. Although I did take reference photos up in Manchester, this particular scene is only partly based on them. The rest is from memory of the scene and imagination. Today I worked on improving the relative scale (window size to foliage). I lowered the shoreline by about a quarter of an inch, brought the foliage higher, and then added some taller trees at the sides of the building. I wanted the tallest trees to be about two and a half stories high. Then I made corresponding adjustments to the reflections of the trees in the river. This painting is almost finished. But next time, I want to recheck the lines (especially in the foreground, in the water). I also want to add just a little more periwinkle blue to sky and water, because it is one of the colors that attracted me to the scene in the first place. To be continued. . . .

No comments: