Friday, November 09, 2007

Night View of Mill and River (Oil Bar Painting Day 10)

Night View of Mill and River (Oil Bar Painting Day 10) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Last night was open studio at Red Brick, so I there to paint. The first thing I did was to add more ripples to the water in the foreground, as I had done on the computer version. I brought along a printout of the digital overlay I made yesterday to use as a guide. (The color looks a little different here because I photographed the painting at night under artificial light.) In any case, the painting now looks pretty much the way I want it to look, although I might add more purple. In fact, I was mixing up some nice periwinkle when I cut my hand with my exacto knife trying to cut a bit of purple oil bar. At that point, I just wanted to give up and go home; besides, the heat was on the blink and I was starting to get pretty cold. But I had been there for just a short time and had just mixed up a beautiful color! So instead of leaving, I went down to the office to get bandaids, patched myself up, and kept going. I worked on my new painting for another hour. (I will post it tomorrow.) I left cold, but happy.

No comments: