Thursday, January 24, 2008

January Thaw

January Thaw (Originally uploaded by randubnick)

This time of year, there is usually too much ice and snow for much walking around the pond. But a few weeks ago, we had a bit of a warm spell. Here, north of Boston, if you get a warm spell in January, you had better take advantage of it. I took this photograph on January 9th during a walk at the Cummings Center Pond. The sun was almost setting and a walk at the pond sounded impractical. But I was very excited when I saw the pond! Some of the ice had melted, leaving patches of white ice which made a beautiful texture against the reflections in the water. It looked like a watercolor painting or a print! I started taking pictures with my phonecam and kept going as the sun was setting (which was only about fifteen minutes). Tonight I started editing the photos. This is one of the first photos that I took that day.

No comments: