Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Reflections on Water (Oil Bar Painting Day 2)

Reflections on Water (Oil Bar Painting Day 2) Originally uploaded by randubnick

This is an oil bar painting of a New Hampshire lake, based on a photo that I took this fall from the passenger seat of a moving car. (You can see the photo posted here on September 23.) This is how my painting looked on day 2, which was January 16th. I began with the goal of checking the angles of the waves in the water to try to make them all roughly parallel. (I used a T-square to check.) After that, I made some changes to the shapes of the dark areas in the water, using my photo as a reference. I also added some vertical marks to indicate reflections of the trees on the shore. I also added some light to the shoreline. I didn't do anything to the sky because I was happy with the way it turned out on the first day. When it was time stop for the day, I was feeling pretty optimistic that I would be able to submit the painting for a juried show, even though the deadline was the next day! (Oil bars dry faster than oil paint, but not THAT fast. This show allowed for submission of e-mail images and that was why I thought I would be able to make the entry deadline.) To be continued. . . .

No comments: