Monday, January 14, 2008

Rushing Water (Posterized Photo)

Rushing Water (Posterized Photo) Originally uploaded by randubnick

By January 5th, I was making good progress on the sixth painting for my show in New Hampshire, (a view of Manchester through a window in a mill building, posted yesterday). So, overcome by optimism, I decided to paint the seventh painting that I had planned for the series, the current of the Merrimac River near the small dam that appears in this photo. At that point, the water changes from calm to turbulent. I wanted to include that painting not only because the energy of rushing water powered the mills, but also so that image could provide a context for two of my paintings that look abstract but are close-up views of river current. I hoped that if I put in extra studio time and could get the painting done within two days, it might dry in time to deliver it to New Hampshire with the other paintings on the 8th. If not, I thought I could deliver it separately a few days later and still have it included in the show by the time it opens officially for public view the following week (the 15th). This was on January 5th, so in theory I had ten almost 10 days. I decided to try. The water was rushing, and so I could rush too! So on the morning of January 5th, I cropped this view from the photo I wanted to use and posterized the image in Painter. I took a copy of this image to the studio to use as a reference for my 7th painting. Tomorrow I will post the painting of this scene. . . .

No comments: