Monday, March 10, 2008

Blue Roses

Blue Roses (Originally uploaded by randubnick)

Last week I made a digital woodcut using a photograph of a single rose, and then made it into a pattern. (See post for March 6.) For the past two days, I have been using that pattern to create this little compositional exercise. This was done in Painter IX, using the pattern pen in a variation that picks up the shapes in the pattern, but not the original color. I was curious to see what would happen with a pattern based on a woodcut, and I was pleased with this because the dark lines of the woodcut make for a strong pattern. In addition to the pattern pen, I used color overlay and a bit of digital chalk. At first, I used a plain border, but I like the added complication of the geometrical design, still using the rose pattern but in a different color. For the upcoming art auction at Red Brick, everyone is supposed to do a small piece of artwork in a square format. The theme of the event is "Cool Blues", and it just now occurred to me that this piece might work.

No comments: