Monday, March 03, 2008

Self-Portrait With Self-Portrait (Oil Bar Painting Day 8)

Self-Portrait With Self-Portrait (Oil Bar Painting Day 8) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Today I went to the studio to work on this painting. Although I haven't had an chance to work on this painting since February 19th, I have been thinking about it and planning what I wanted to do next. So today I began by moving the chin line up just a bit and making the jaw a little bit rounder. (This meant doing a bit of repainting on the neck and collar as well). Then I added more white and pink to the skin tones, using a small brush and blending in the strokes. I was trying to get the effect of a glaze. My goal was to soften some of the shadows and lighten some of the strong yellow and ochre tones. I also managed to open the mouth up just a bit by lightening some shadows on the teeth. I made a few other minor changes, just a mark or two really. But then I decided that it was time to step away from the canvas, because with more changes, I had much more to lose than to gain.

No comments: