Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mountain and Sun (Chine Colle)

Mountain and Sun (Chine Colle) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Last night in printmaking class at Red Brick, we learned to make Chine-colle prints. Chine-colle means pasted paper, and the process combines collage and printmaking. We put glue on the pieces of paper to be collaged. arrange them on the plate glue side up, and run the plate through the printing press. The result is a collage. Chine-colle can also be combined with printing with ink. This is the first of four Chine-colle prints that I made last night. The instructor suggested we make a Chine-colle with a drawing or a picture. I didn't have anything at hand, so I made a quick drawing of a mountain and sun with magic marker. I used textured paper for the band at the bottom of the composition. I also inked a second plate with blue because I wanted to try a "double drop" (two plates) to see how the printing and collage worked together. This is what the image looked like when I was finished. The only disappointment was that the textured paper was completely flattened by the press. Otherwise, I was happy with the image, but more important, very excited about learning this new process.

No comments: