Saturday, June 28, 2008

Parlor Game (Self-Portrait in Crayon)

Parlor Game (Self-Portrait in Crayon) Originally uploaded by randubnick

Last weekend was open studios at Red Brick, and the events included a reception. People were invited to make self-portraits. Although I was short on time, I decided to participate in this little parlor game because I love art activities at parties for artists. I made a quick crayon sketch on the square panels provided. I didn't have a mirror anyway, so I just drew a kind of cartoon of myself, without worrying about getting a likeness. (Some of the people who were watching me draw said that the sketch looks like me. It was nice of them to say so, but I don't think it does, or at least it looks as much like Carol Channing as it does me.) Anyway, I didn't care either way, because I was just having fun. As I was finishing up, I learned that this was for a composite portrait of Red Brick artists. So this little sketch became part of a panel of self-portraits by Red Brick artists, and was hung on the wall the next day for open studios.

1 comment:

Minka said...

Hmmm looks like some relatives on your mom's side of the famliy. I think Carol Channings voice is too low for this portrait.
;0)