Thursday, June 19, 2008

Self-Portrait Photo with Free Lace Scarf

Self-Portrait Photo with Free Lace Scarf (Originally uploaded by randubnick)

On Monday night, in the fiber arts class that I am taking at Red Brick, I finished up the free lace scarf I have been making. I just added a little red ribbon as fringe on each corner, and I was done. Tonight I decided to photograph it to show how it looks over clothing, and this turned into another project! I wanted to learn to do this with my new digital camera. It was a little tricky getting used to the camera and I discarded a lot of mistakes: blurry photos, bad aim, missed shots, not to mention photos in which I looked like hell. Finally I tried taking the photo in front of a mirror so I could see what I was doing. That worked better, and I got a useable image of myself wearing the scarf. But then I noticed the background! I had captured a corner of the air conditioner, a window shade, a stack of papers, and a pile of books. Well, I wasn't about to start over, so I opened the image in Painter IX and used some quick digital airbrush to clean up the room! (I resisted the temptation to apply the digital airbrush to my face!) Anyway, here is the photo of me wearing the free lace scarf. It is fun to have it, it goes with everything, and I am planning to wear it to open studios at Red Brick this weekend.

No comments: