Thursday, August 21, 2008

Leaf Print

Leaf Print (Originally uploaded by randubnick)

Here is another quick demo that I did while teaching printmaking to teens this week at Red Brick. I did this little print on Tuesday, while showing the students ways to print "by hand". (On Wednesday, we used the printing press.) I brought along some leaves for this project. I put a leaf down on white paper, and applied red ink to it with a small brayer. Then I folded a big piece of yellow paper in half, put the inked leaf inside, and rolled a clean brayer over the outside of the folded paper, applying pressure to get a print. This is the result, photographed and cropped to get a good composition. Sometimes during this process, you can get a second print, created on the paper used as backing for inking the leaf. I did get a second print, and I will post that tomorrow. . . .

No comments: