Monday, August 04, 2008

New Hampshire Lake from Bridge


New Hampshire Lake from Bridge (Originally uploaded by randubnick)

This is a photo that I took today from the passenger seat of a moving car. The occasion was a trip up to New Hampshire to have lunch with a friend from UNH (University of New Hampshire). I love the drive to Durham, which involves going over a series of bridges. The water is an amazing blue. But because of the bridges, it is hard to get a good picture of the lake. Well, I certainly had all those problems during today's trip! I usually deal with the problems by editing the pictures on the computer. Often I try cropping out the bridge to get a closer view of the lake, but the resulting images always seem a little disappointing. However, while I was editing the photos tonight, I tried a different approach. Instead of cropping out the bridge, I tried to find a pleasing composition that used the bridge, working hard to get a square format. What I was trying to capture was the excitement (and frustration) of that fleeting glimpse of brilliant blue. Even despite currently skyrocketing gas prices, a lot of people spend a considerable amount of time looking at scenery this way, through the windows of a moving car.

1 comment:

Minka said...

I love that ride between Durham and Portsmouth and the exciting feeling of arrival. You are right: the fractured glimpses are part of the excitement of arrival. How about a movie?
Love, Mindy