Sunday, January 04, 2009

Bright Light on Winter Night




Bright Light on Winter Night   (Originally uploaded by randubnick)

This image is a digitally modified version of a photo that I took on the night of December 19th, during a stretch of snowy weather.  The original photo was almost completely black with just a patch of yellow showing. So I used the iPhoto program to do some basic editing, adjusting the brightness and contrast just to see what I had.  Once I could actually see the image in the photo, I thought it had potential. It captured the snow and trees back-lit by the street lamp.  But I didn't like the color of the electric light, which was an acid yellow in the photo, not the soft apricot that I had actually seen.  So I opened the image in Painter and used the magic wand tool and some color overlays to soften the color of the sky.  I also added some soft purple color overlays to the trees.  Then I cropped the image to get this composition, and here it is.

No comments: