Sunday, February 15, 2009

Hancock and Pru (Digital Woodcut)


Hancock and Pru (Digital Woodcut)
Originally uploaded by randubnick

Here is one more image from my trip into Boston last Monday.  I was in the passenger seat, and I took this picture from Storrow Drive.  As we got closer to the Back Bay, I was trying to take a picture of the two most famous buildings from the Boston skyline, the John Hancock Building and the Prudential Center (AKA the Pru).  I also captured a bridge, some parked cars, a yield sign, and traffic on Storrow Drive. Tonight I straightened the image, and then seriously considered cropping it radically to leave only the John Hancock Building and some trees.  But I decided that I like the streetscape as it is. Even the marks created by the streaks in the windshield seemed to add something to the composition.  So instead of cropping all of that out, I used Painter to create a digital woodcut from the image.  The result is less than lyrical, but it communicates the feeling of heading into Boston by car.


No comments: