Thursday, April 30, 2009

Tree in Bloom


Tree in Bloom
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

This is a photograph of a tree in front of my house.  It makes me think of one of my favorite poems.  I published it here in 2005, but have been thinking about it a lot, so here it is again:

Loveliest of Trees (by A.E. Housman)

Loveliest of trees, the cherry now

Is hung with bloom along the bough,

And stands about the woodland ride,

Wearing white for Eastertide.

Now, of my threescore years and ten,

Twenty will not come again,

And take from seventy springs a score,

It only leaves me fifty more.


And since to look at things in bloom

Fifty springs are little room,

About the woodlands I will go

To see the cherry hung with snow.

1 comment:

Minka said...

Nice poem. The trees are really magic this time of year . . . maybe all year, actually.