Tuesday, June 23, 2009

At the Harvard Coop ( Digitally Edited)


At the Harvard Coop (Digitally Edited)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

Sunday's excursion into Cambridge took place on a rainy day. But it was a good day for coffee and bookstores, and fun to see all the new students, who were enrolling for summer session I assume.  I didn't think it would be a good day for taking pictures, but I did see a good photo op while I was exploring the fiction section at the Harvard Coop (Cooperative Bookstore).  The fiction section is on the second floor, and runs around a kind of balcony with an open view of the floor below.  It's a great space, and it is fun to walk around the balcony, so I did.  When I got to the front of the store, I looked down on the entryway, where I saw this view.  I like the carving, and I also liked the geometry, all those circles and rectangles, so I took a picture.  I have spent a great deal of time on college campuses, which may be why the fliers taped to the door were invisible to me when I took the picture.  I only noticed them when I saw the photo on my computer screen.  So I opened the image in Painter and used digital pastel to remove the pieces of paper from the door.  While I was at it, I also removed a glimpse of a passerby's shoe, visible through the doorway in the original photo. (Cambridge was crowded on Sunday, but not crowded!) So now here's a clear and unobstructed view of a Harvard classic!

No comments: