Sunday, July 19, 2009

Heart Shaped Box as of July 19, 2009


Heart Shaped Box as of July 19, 2009
Originally uploaded by randubnick

We have finally had some hot weather. Although I expected it to be hellishly hot in the studio, I went over to Red Brick this morning to work on this project.  (The heart-shaped box once held a Mother's Day gift from my daughter.  Now I am covering it with collage and decoupage created from printed metallic ribbons.)  The studio felt like a sauna, but I opened a window and got to work. I began by working on the interior of the box top, which I just started recently, so it is more fun to work on for me. Besides, at this point I am using larger pieces of ribbon for that area, easier to handle in the heat.  I worked for about a half hour and made some progress. Then I switched to the gold area around the side, filling in tiny gaps. I was right; the smaller pieces were harder to handle in the heat.  Everything was very sticky!  But I did what I could and also pasted some red pieces into the interior.  After about an hour, I was definitely overheating, so decided to pack it in.  I always take a photo just before I leave, and today as I set it up, the sunlight playing on the heart-shaped box reminded me why I am doing this project. 

No comments: