Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Evening at Dane Street Beach (Posterized)


Evening at Dane Street Beach (Posterized)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

Here north of Boston, it has been very hot for the last few days. An evening walk on the beach is a good way to cool off. This image began with a photograph that I took during a recent walk on Dane Street Beach (in Beverly, MA). The colors of the sky and water were amazing. Tonight I cropped the image to get this composition, cutting out a bright blue towel left on the beach, and also used Painter's digital pastel to eliminate a pile of sand that a child had built right along the edge of the water. Then I used the magic wand tool so I could posterize most of the photograph except the sky. I like this image because it shows that the sea really does shine. (It's not just a song lyric.)

2 comments:

Minka said...

What song is that?

Randa Dubnick said...

Well, I guess I was thinking of "from sea to shining sea" in "America the Beautiful." But there is also a line in James Taylor's "Only a Dream in Rio": "over the shining sea". It is one of my favorites!

Love, Randi