Friday, August 28, 2009

My Dad at West Point Memorial (Modified Snapshot)


My Dad at West Point Memorial (Modified Snapshot)
Originally uploaded by randubnick

This is a digitally modified snapshot. The photo I have came to me in a group of photos that one of my aunts gave me several years after my father died. Several of the photos, including this one, are marked "West Point 1940". I don't have much information about this set of photos, but from what I can put together, this may have been where he was stationed at an army base there when he enlisted. (If anybody out there knows more, please let me know!) Although my dad is in civilian clothes in this picture, there are other photos of him in uniform, also marked "West Point 1940". I didn't know what the monument was until today, but I did a search on Google and it is a civil war monument, quite tall and spectacular, but this is only the base of it. I like the photo because my dad looks so young, with the spiffy T-shirt and saddle shoes (!) Well, he was young then, on his way to becoming a soldier, not yet married, not yet my dad. Tonight I edited the image in iPhoto, straightening and cropping the image. Then I used Painter to posterize it, as well as it add some color overlays. It was nice to spend a little time thinking about my dad today. He was born on August 28, 1918.

No comments: