Thursday, December 17, 2009

Woods in Durham NH (Oil Bar Painting Day 2)


Woods in Durham NH (Oil Bar Painting Day 2)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

I painted this morning for about an hour in my new studio set-up at home. I started by working a little bit on this oil bar painting, inspired by a photograph that I took last year in Durham, New Hampshire. (If you want to see the photo, it is called "Morning Light in New Hampshire" and can be found on this site.) First, I made a change in the composition that I have been thinking about: I moved the most prominent tree because it was too close to the center. Then I toned down the yellow in the foliage and added more light to the lower part of the painting. Then I stopped working on this painting for today so I could get another painting started. (I am painting for a show, and am planning to lay in the composition for all of the paintings before doing any detailed work on any of them.) So I did get another painting started this morning, and I plan to post it tomorrow.

No comments: