Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Woods in Durham, NH (Oil Bar Painting Day 6)


Woods in Durham, NH (Oil Bar Painting Day 6)
Originally uploaded by randubnick

This is one of the paintings I have been working on this week. I thought I would post this one today because I was thinking about it when I woke up, and it is the first one I worked on today. I intended to add more highlights to the painting to make it brighter. But in my photo, the one that I am using for reference (Morning Light in New Hampshire, also posted here), the shadows in the woods are actually darker than in my painting, but the sunlit areas really stand out. So I added more dark blue areas, and sure enough, that seemed to brighten the lighter areas. (It is a paradox in art that the contrast with darkness makes things bright.) Then I added more light green to the foliage as well.

No comments: