Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Edge of Lake in New Hampshire (Digitally Modified Photo)


Edge of Lake in New Hampshire (Digitally Modified Photo)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

I have been getting ready for am an exhibit of my oil bar paintings later in the month. By January 1, I had six paintings well underway, and I felt confident that I would have six paintings completed (and dry) in time for the show. But I wanted to do one more. The paintings are all landscapes of New England woods and lakes. I wanted one more painting with a lake, so I looked through my photos to see what I could find. Luckily, I was able to find what I had in mind, a photo of a beautiful blue lake in New Hampshire, somewhere on the way to Durham. (This was yet another photo taken from the passenger seat of a moving car.) I always thought that photo had potential for a painting. However, I had never posted it here because the image was tilted, the car mirror was visible in the shot, and the grasses in the foreground interrupted the line of the land mass on the water. I decided I would use this photo to complete my show, so I started cleaning it up. I used iPhoto to straighten the image and crop out the car mirror. When I had the composition I wanted, I moved the image into Painter and used digital pastel to trim (draw over) the wayward grasses that were obscuring the view. While I had Painter open, I decided to also make a second version, this time posterized (which I will publish here tomorrow). Then I printed a copy of the modified photo, got out my paints, and started my seventh painting for the show. To be continued. . . .

No comments: