Monday, May 17, 2010

Winter Window in Chicago


Winter Window in Chicago
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

This is pencil drawing that I did back in 1979. I was living in Chicago at the time, in Rogers Park, near Loyola University. This is a drawing of view through my dining room window, which was the window and brick wall of the neighboring building. (In Rogers Park, most apartments and houses are long, narrow, and so close together that all you can see through a side windows is the brick wall of the building next door.) I did this drawing around the time of one of the major snowstorms that happened during my time in Chicago. I was interested in the patterns of the brick and the tracery of the snow on the vines. Today I came across this drawing while I was looking for something else, of course. I was glad to find it because I had been wondering where it was. So tonight I took it out of the frame and photographed it for safe keeping, and to post here. I am glad I found it, not only because I like the drawing itself, but also because it brings back memories of my adventures in Chicago.

1 comment:

Mel said...

I always thought of this as a great sketch that seemed to capture each twig and leaf in that window. Unlike Colorado where snowscapes can be wonderful sites for all to enjoy, in Chicago that winter the only access we had to intriguing snow scenes were the private ones right outside our apartment window that only we could enjoy -- even the neighbor across the alley could not appreciate why we were always seemingly staring into their apartment....