Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Suddenly Japanese Iris


Suddenly Japanese Iris
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

This image is a digitally edited and posterized photograph. I took the original photograph on May 31, during a walk at Long Hill Gardens here in Beverly, MA. I suddenly stumbled upon these beautiful flowers, Japanese iris, that were blooming alongside a walkway. I loved the colors and combination of textures, so I took a quick photo, and moved on. When I transferred the image into the computer, I noticed some big leaves in the foreground that were leaning in to the image and covering up part of the iris stems. I kept coming back to this image, so tonight I decided to try to fix the problem. I opened the image in Painter, and drew into and over the image with opaque digital pastel, covering up the leaves. I also used some cut and paste to extend the ground cover to the edge of the image. Then I posterized the image a bit, to cover my tracks. Suddenly, the problem was gone, leaving just the iris.

No comments: