Saturday, June 12, 2010

Summer Evening at Cummings Center Pond (Posterized)


Summer Evening at Cummings Center Pond (Posterized)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

This is a digitally modified and posterized version of the photo that I posted here yesterday, a picture of the pond at the Cummings Center here in Beverly, MA. I was interested in the effects of the light on a summer evening. The interesting light made me wonder how the photo might look posterized. So tonight I opened the image in Painter. I had to lighten the shadows first to prevent the image from getting too dark. I also added a gentle color overlay to the sky. The sky really was blue when I took the photo, but looked white in the photo due to the strong light. Then I posterized the image one section at a time, using the selection tool: the land, the water, and the foliage in the foreground, using a different setting for each section. Finally, I added a color overlay to the highlights in the water, which were washed out to white when I posterized.

No comments: