Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Lattice Fence and Stone Path (Reference Photo for Painting)


Lattice Fence and Stone Path (Reference Photo for Painting)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

Last night I posted a little watercolor painting that I did yesterday in a plein air workshop in Concord, NH. After I painted for two hours, the workshop was over, and it was time to stop. But before I packed up all my gear, I took a photo of what I had been trying to paint. (Although I thought at the time that the painting was finished, today I think I may want to return to it and do more at some point.) In any case, it is always a good idea to have a photo. When I compare this photo to my painting, of course I see things I want to change in the painting to make it a more accurate representation. But I can also see quite clearly in this photo why I chose this scene and what I was trying to capture in the painting: the composition, the patterns, the light, and the garden in the distance. I can also see the potential of this photo in its own right, apart from being a reference for a painting. But I might want to edit it just a little bit. To be continued. . . .

No comments: