Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Lattice Fence and Stone Path


Lattice Fence and Stone Path
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

This is a little watercolor painting that I did today in a plein air painting class. (The idea of plein air is just to paint outside, from observation.) My cousin is taking a three-day workshop at the Kimball-Jenkins School of Art in Concord, NH, and invited me to sign up as well. As it turned out, I could only take the class for one day, and today was the day. So this morning I drove up to Concord with art supplies in the back seat. This is a path and garden attached to one of the administrative buildings on the Kimball-Jenkins Estate, where the classes are held. I was interested in the patterns of the lattice fence and the stone walk, so I chose this as my subject matter even though (especially because) I knew the fence and path would be challenging. I was certainly right about that! I wanted a "painting work-out" and I certainly got one, trying to paint this in two hours, especially using my tiny little travel watercolor set. When I was finished painting, I took a reference photo of the scene, and I plan to post it here tomorrow.

1 comment:

Minka said...

Hi Cuz,
What a fun day! I like the way you captured the feeling of the trees off in the distance, too.
Mindy